Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Week Travels

So Maundy Thursday (or the Thursday before Easter...) I get a call from the scheduling coordinator. You're assigned for THE WEEK in Randolph County. I call hubby immediately and say, "Refresh my memory. Where is Randolph County?" To which he replied, "Asheboro." And I about croaked. Let's just say it's not an easy place to get to from Wake Forest!

But I'm always game for an adventure! So this morning, 6:50 a.m., I hit the road. Raleigh is NOTORIOUS for its bad traffic - now, not so bad as DC or LA, but for the lack of infrastructure, it's pretty horrendous. Anyway... the map I got from online told me to go to Greensboro, then south; I thought, nah, that's not right. I ended up taking the new "Northern Wake Expressway" to its western terminus, drove down NC 55, and then west on US 64. Took me an hour and 45 minutes to reach my destination. It was raining. However, I was about an hour and 45 minutes early! (Hey, first day of court I like to be at least an hour early, so it wasn't horrible).

Court was great. I met Judge Hardin (former prosecutor in Durham County - Michael Peterson case???!!) and the resident reporter (Mona) and all the other GREAT people in state service. From lawyers, to clerks, to bailiffs, everyone greeted me warmly and treated me kindly.

I think that's what I like best about the job so far - the people are SO friendly! Compared to my freelance life, where you rarely got a thank you, court is just a big happy family. :)

PLUS I got my very first "official" transcript ordered today!! Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment