Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Week, Another Courthouse

I love being a rover. You never know where you're going to be assigned.

This week, I'm assigned to 15B, Orange Chatham - Civil. Monday I drove to historic Hillsborough, NC - revolutionary history there, folks! - and went to the old courthouse. It's a beautiful building. No security here - heck, it's civil... there were loads of television news crews out and about, though. Turns out my compatriot, the resident reporter for this region, had two high-profile cases coming on for plea; one is the murder suspect in the Eve Carson murder (UNC Student Body President) and the other is the driver of the SUV into the Pit (the congregating area near the student union at UNC). Big stuff.

Me, I had status conferences in civil matters. One of the most fun judges I've worked for so far, though, Judge Manning, made it a great morning. We had a pretty short docket and I only got a few motions, but it was good seeing some familiar faces. I saw one of the attorneys I used to occasional take depositions for out in the audience (hi, Tom!) and another I had taken a ton of asbestos abatement deps for (hi, Brian!) and I felt very comfortable in this unfamiliar courtroom.

That's the one consistent thing with this position - no matter where I go, people are so VERY friendly and make you feel right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment