Saturday, September 20, 2008

Social networking

So as a 40-something, I came to computers later in my life than the younger generations - I think I took a class in 1981 (which was way over my head) and didn't start using them in my work until the '90s. I certainly used a Wang word processor... and my brother had a Commodore 64 when he was younger.

But for me the computer age didn't start until I started on a forum.

That was in 1992, the Compuserve Court Reporters Forum. (I'm still participating!) We had weekly "chats" there and great message boards. I spent a lot of time there. In the early 2000s, I spent to much time on the NCRA forum that they tapped me to be an assistant sysop. I had written MANY posts.

Now, I'm new to the social stuff, but this Facebook thing is amazing! I started last Saturday. I uploaded pix, searched for some friends, joined groups, played a game or two. It's now a week later and I have close to 50 friends (hey, I was in court all week!!) and requests for many more.

I've spent A LOT of time playing the games and looking up people from my past. I can see how this could be a really great time killer. But if life is not about maintaining friendships and developing more, then what is it about? After all, the more people you meet, the more experiences and viewpoints you are exposed to. Knowledge is power.

Make new friends, and find your old ones. See you online.

No comments:

Post a Comment