Saturday, December 6, 2008

Counting Counties

There are 100 counties in North Carolina. So far as a rover, since February, I've worked in 14 of them. Some of them are pretty far-flung, too! This past week, due to illness in the family, my vacation to Las Vegas was nixed, so I became "available" to work Wednesday/Thursday/Friday.

I was "picked up" by my boss - she called Tuesday afternoon - for the remainder of the week in Rowan County. Now, since I'm not a native of NC, I wasn't really sure where that was. Turns out, that's Salisbury (almost to Charlotte!). Now, driving from Wake Forest, that was going to be two-plus hours. Needless to say, I packed my suitcase.

It was an interesting week - with a tainted jury pool, a member of the venire cited for criminal contempt of court (that was interesting), then another trial (communicating threats) that ended up with an acquittal... and then, the killer day, Friday - probation violation calendar. From start to finish, 9:30 a.m. to 4:53 p.m., we handled over 100 cases. With two judges! First judge sent the jury out for deliberations, and then left; second judge did probation court and took the verdict. Bizarre day.

Never a dull moment in court! Only 86 more counties to go. We'll see how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment