Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New Adventure... CART in court

CART in the court setting. How interesting! How completely unprepared was I on Tuesday to get the assignment from my boss saying, You'll be doing a District Court trial on Thursday for a hearing impaired defendant - providing the CART.

To say I didn't want to do it would be an understatement. I have a lot of stuff on my plate - hey, I was assigned to work my usual assignment, even - and CART is a very challenging assignment.

Off I went - called the attorney. Got three pieces of information - case caption and the traffic ticket. That's it. Oh, and since we don't know when the trial will be, show up around 10 a.m. and wait. Hoo-kay.

But here's the tricky part: I don't have a computer that I can use to display for CART all ready to go. Now, I have LOTS of notebooks... but in various states of, um, updating. I can't output to Bridge from my netbook, so that brings me to my recent notebook - which means updating all my CAT software and my writer; but then I also need a computer for the client to read from - because they can't look at a netbook either. That's my OLD notebook, from about four years ago.

So far it's taken about six hours to get ready, and nothing works yet. But, I have over 12 hours to go, so I'm hopeful. Right about now, the only thing I'm NOT worried about is writing. It is what it is.

Take a page from the Boy/Girl Scout handbook: BE PREPARED! That way you don't run around scrambling at the last minute. (Or, in parental terms: Don't do as I do, do as I say!!!)

Happy CARTing.

No comments:

Post a Comment