Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Being aware of your competition

There's a lot of talk out there about now within the stenographic association about having a competing method having a seminar at our national convention; the working title is "ER/DR, what it can and can't do."

Now to me, knowing what your competition is, how it works, what it can and cannot do as compared to you seems like a good thing. If you know its strengths and limitations, uses, problems, etc, it makes you stronger and more well prepared to argue against that position and to advocate for your own.

I've always believed that knowledge is power. Some would say that because of my willingness to listen to all sides that I have no loyalty to my profession. I would say that absolutely, because of my ability to listen and to hear and to evaluate, it makes me that much stronger as an advocate for my chosen field.

Never would I say that you should abandon your strongly held opinion - that is, unless and until you have sufficient evidence to sway you otherwise. But to hold yourself away from information that is available to you, perhaps, is keeping yourself in the dark and more close-minded than you really wish to be.

Simply an observation. I will always opt for more information than less; but, as with everything in life, personal choice is the prerogative.

No comments:

Post a Comment