Monday, August 16, 2010

Keeping up with the Administrivia!

Have you ever had a day where you just couldn't see your desk and KNEW you had to tackle it before it got even worse?  That was my day yesterday. 

My computer was running slowly and had a lot of files on it.  My filing hadn't been done (in fairness, I had been gone for two weeks) and was getting to be a big stack.  My backup documentation wasn't in order.  Accounting.  Et cetera.

I've tried in the past to have a routine time when I do my backups.  I wanted to do it on Fridays.  Doesn't always happen that way.  Wanted to do it weekly.  Again, not really.  What I did yesterday (yes, Sunday) was back off over two months' work from my notebook and burn to my backup drive.  And caught up my Excel spreadsheet that I use to refer back to when attorneys call asking for a transcript from a date, oh, two years ago - so I can tell where I was. 

It took a long time, but it was well worth it.  My computer will run faster - after I defrag it - and my desk is amazingly clear (not totally, but now only the urgent stuff is left so I can get to it!).

Don't do as I do.  Please.  develop a routine and stick to it as best you can.  Otherwise, you may lose a Sunday - or worse, a whole lot of data.

1 comment:

  1. Great word, "Adminstrivia"! I enjoy your blog a lot, Tori. Thanks!

    Kit Flores

    ReplyDelete