Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thinking about Those Windows and Doors

Remember a few months ago when I got passed over for that job?  After about 48 hours, I realized that it probably wasn't the best fit for me.  After having a bit of a pity party, all was well in my world and life went on.

The same thing happened last week in the contested election.  Remember how excited I was to have been nominated?  I went through a pretty lengthy process to get to the nomination stage, but in the end I was defeated by a candidate who got on the ballot through petition.  Now, I will readily admit to being offended that I was the only nominee for Director to be challenged.  My qualifications, I thought, were good.  Time of service, state leadership, etc.  In the end, it was a close vote (65 votes) and the challenger took the seat.  For about, oh, 24 hours I was in a pretty deep pity party/funk.  The number of hugs, e-mails, and kind words pretty much sent me over the edge; my emotions are usually pretty near the surface, and they kind of bubbled over.

After that 24 hours, though, I realized it wasn't such a bad thing.  Three years committing to an organization - volunteering, no less - is a long time.  Especially at a time when my state's budget for reporting is in flux and I don't want to be the one let go.  By the party on Saturday night I was smiling and laughing - and dancing with my opponent/colleague.

So those two doors that closed... it was just God's way of saying, "Nah, you don't really want to do that.  I've got something better."  Of course I have to wait for it, but that's all right, too.

In the end, we have to follow our hearts and then when we are handed disappointments, be willing to see that little window opening up down the hall.

Best wishes to all the successful candidates for NCRA board service.  See you in Las Vegas in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment