Friday, June 28, 2013

Out of the comfort zone... and into another software!

When I left my employment with the State almost two years ago, I decided that I would restart my scoping business.  Aside from using Eclipse software, I decided that I needed to add Case CATalyst to my repertoire. I bought it.  I used it on a couple of assignments, but just couldn't muster the speed that I had already developed using my main software (which, in fairness, I've been on for over a decade and my fingers fly automatically to the correct keys).

So I let CC languish.  I looked into selling it and transferring the license.  In the end, it was cheaper just to keep paying the support fee.

Fast-forward to this week. I've been reaching out to folks for files on CC because my significant other is under five years away from retirement and HE is interested in scoping!  People were watching that...  and then a colleague reached out in need.  She had a trip planned and didn't want to take her computer.  Would I be willing to proof one day and scope another?  Um...

I said yes.  Dusted off the license.  Grabbed the handbook.  And hoped for the best.  There were 200 pages to proofread and then another 200 to scope.  I did all the pages.  ALL of them.  I'm thankful that the court reporter was willing to take me on and answer a lot of style questions and, more importantly, the issues of uploading and downloading said files appropriately. In the end, I finished all the pages and she's on a plane to a tropical locale.

Sometimes it takes a while for an idea to percolate to the top.  Sometimes you just have to take the leap of faith and hope that someone ELSE's faith in YOU can bring you up.

I'm not by any means where I ought to be, but I can now say that if someone needs help on CC, I can do it!  Still not in my comfort zone, but it's better than it was even 48 hours ago.

Challenge met!

No comments:

Post a Comment